About Me

My photo
I love red velvet cake, glitter, music, car washes, and nail polish. I am a southern belle with a hint of cajun class. Starting this blog was a challenge to do something I WANTED to do not because I HAD to.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

DIY lilly coasters

Before I move to Hattiesburg in August I have been pinteresting ideas for my new apartment.  I have seen tons and tons of pictures for DIY coasters made out of Lilly Pulitzer planners, so I decided to try it.  Well the slight hoarder in me went to tear out my pages and just couldn't do it.  Planners are almost like diaries and this past year being a consultant, it sure would be a crazy diary to read! So I decided to use the next best thing...Lilly Pulitzer catalogs!  I had a Spring 2012 and Summer 2012 catalog laying around the house and found some great prints to use for my coasters.

This really was an easy project to start with!

Items needed:

  • square tiles bought from Lowes
  • planner/catalog pages
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • homemade modge podge (water and Elmer's glue mixed)...much cheaper!
  • felt
  • paint brush
  • hot glue gun
  • watco butcher block 
First decide what pages you want you use and trace the tile on the paper then cut it out.

Then paint on some glue to the tile.  Lay the paper down and reapply the glue.  I painted the glue on vertically and then horizontally just so it would cover properly.

Allow time to dry and reapply glue again.

The next day I hot glued felt to the bottom of the tile compared to using cork on the bottom. 

And Let me just teach everyone a lesson that will help you immensely  throughout life.  My momma taught me this when I was a little girl and it has always stuck (pun intended) When glueing ANYTHING!...if you glue the edges you do not need to worry about the middle.  So that means you don't need to make some crazy design of glue in the middle.  Just trace the edges and you are good to go! That little rant is for you momma :)

Lastly I sealed the coasters off with the Watco Butcher Block



instagrammed it :)




If you get bored and want to try an easy DIY pinterest project...start with this one.  It will definitely boost your artistic self confidence.

Until next time...more projects ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment